Monday, March 26, 2012

Finally in Nicaragua! Got in last night at like 11. Been doing some wall building and general sweating, but we just had lunch and are on break until 3, so we're feeling pretty good.

I was so anxious on the way here, whether we would all get there on time, or safely, or if people would have a good trip, or if we would have enough to do, or if I planned things properly, but now that we're here, I feel like I can finally relax, also because Obed and Daniela are here.

There was something comforting about getting off the air conditioned plane and being immediately overwhelmed with that distinctive smell of foreign country. The humidity, the open air, the fires, farm animals, fragrant trees, and vehicle exhaust makes for scents that are familiar to me, from memories from past travels and dreams of those of the future. The wind blew by the open windows of the bus, and with cool evening air blowing in my face and stars close above, countryside shadows whipping by, and the sense of an adventure being forged, I smiled because I could not help it.

- Jaylene C.

No comments:

Post a Comment