Monday, March 26, 2012

03/26/12

We awoke at 5 AM for devotionals with the orphans. Afterwards, we ate breakfast (after a quick 45 minute nap while breakfast was being prepared). Apparently I eat a lot , and people wonder why I am so thin. I wish I could give them an answer. After breakfast we went to the work site where we started by distributing the bricks along the fence-line. After a delay by the main workers, we were able to start mixing concrete, which was then distributed on the cement foundation.

We then put the massive blocks on top of this layer, and then filled in the spaces with more mortar cement. The kids from the school actually put on a very nice welcome ceremony for us before we began building. Then throughout the day, the students would come out and visit with us whenever they had free time. Our progress on building the wall was primitive and hampered by a lack of tools and perhaps poor planning.

For example, we only had one mallet, one brush, and the foundation for the wall was still being built. Thus, once lunch came, we went home to the orphanage dormitories, where we are and then rested. If we thought our "nap" before breakfast was sooooo nice, our afternoon nap was AMAZING! It was so deep it felt like comatose status.

We eventually rolled out of bed some hours later. We could not return to the work site because our layer of bricks was still drying and the other side of the foundation had yet to be poured. So we brought out some of our toys and games for the orphans. We pumped up the soccer balls we brought and played soccer for a while. Once we tired, we came inside for refreshments. We then played with the kids using the board or card games we brought. We had large games of UNO, Connect Four, Jenga, and other games as well. The kids then taught a few of us some games.

There are two orphan girls here that are 5 and 7: Yamiela and _________ (?). They are so full of energy and cute. They run up to anyone they see and reach out to be picked up. One of our LaSU girls brought small Disney Princess puzzles. These two orphan girls were so thrilled. They came running around to everyone showing the puzzles. Eventually one of the ran up to where I sat and wanted to show me the puzzle, so we tried to put it together. The puzzle was easy and only 24 pieces, but after putting 8 together, thegirl lost attention and started doing other random things like feeling my hair, trying to tickle Jaylene, etc.

Eventually, it was time for dinner. The vegetables and the tea were amazing! We then had worship. Somehow the word got out that I played violin and Jaylene played piano. So a small electric keyboard was setup for Jaylene. Then one of the orphans came up to me and asked if I would play her violin. I told her if she wanted me to play it I would. She seemed timid but excited. When I got the instrument, the bridge was angled so bad it was about to fall off, so I carefully fixed that. Then it was severely out of tune, so I properly tuned it. The orphan girl seemed so pleased that I played and fixed up her violin for her.

After Dean Obed gave the worship talk, the orphans and music teacher from the school gathered around and wanted me to play for them. They kept naming songs and I would play them. They were so funny to see their excitement. Eventually the little orphan girl who played the violin asked me if I could teach her a few things. I agreed, so tomorrow when we are done building, I am supposed to give a violin lesson. We'll see how it goes.

I then returned to the room, awaited my turn, and took a shower. Although the shower is like a single stream of water coming from a small pinhole, and even though there is only cold water, the shower was divine! Oh how good it felt to get the sweat and grime off me! I then jumped into bed and was out... anticipating what tomorrow would bring.

- Richard P.

No comments:

Post a Comment